This product is sold out.
- Approximately 1:800 scale
- Model size (l/b/h) ca. 50 cm/12 cm/8 cm
- Four-color printing on white cardboard 190 gr/m2
- 4 Model arches size Din A 4
- Packed as environmentally friendly PP-flat bag
- Contents German manual and background information
- Easy to build: scissors, ruler, glue – that's it
please visit our department
The Stalinallee in East Berlin
East Berlin 21 December 1949: the street signs on the Große Frankfurter Straße are being changed. In honour of the self-appointed Führer of the worlds proletariat, who on this day in distant Moscow is celebrating his 70th birthday, the street is now called Stalinallee. It is a broken street. Ruins line the broad roadway, at the Weberwiese a solitary modest building with access balcony is being erected. However, the guidance of the SED has great plans. Here in the Stalinallee the world, above all the western world, shall be shown what the cities of the (socialist) future will look like. They are not going to be simple houses in the style of that house with an access balcony. „Egg boxes“ Walter Ulbricht calls them, houses that could be standing in the African savanna and that insult the „aesthetic sensibility of the working nation“.
Here in the Stalinallee the buildings shall be more magnificent and massive. Grand Houses, palaces and cultural edifices are to be built. The most powerful man in the GDR knows examples of this style from Moscow and Leningrad. The Stalinallee shall be constructed in the same way that Stalin had buildings constructed in the 30´s and 40´s.
Style of the »national tradition« calls the SED the planned worker palaces for which a particular law came into enactment. Objections are denounced by the SED leadership as „formalistic“ and „decadently western“. Those who do not wish to build in this manner receive no contracts in the future, they are the enemies of socialist reconstruction.
In 1951 a competition is announced for the Allee. The first five prize-winners (Hartmann, Paulick, Hopp, Leucht, Souradny) receive the order to unite their designs and to present an acceptable communal blueprint within 14 days. A communal blueprint is of least concern to the architects in Kienbaum where the designated examination takes place. Each of them tries jealously to push through their ideas and to lay claim to the most prominent sections of the Allee for themselves. Finally there are some volatile idea sketches and a vague conception as to who will build where in the Allee. None of the prize-winners suspects that the most desirable building site on the Allee, the Strausberger Platz (Richard Paulick would like to have built here), will be awarded to another architect , Hermann Henselmann. At the decisive Politbuero meeting in Autumn 1951 it is his design for the Platz (square) that win the greatest approval and from now on there are six architects who will build the Stalinallee.
National reconstruction programme
The SED leadership intended the Stalinallee to be the „work of the whole nation“. In 1951 a National Reconstruction Programme for Berlin is launched parallel to the architects planning. The People of East Berlin, if possible those from the west as well, are to participate in clearing the rubble in the area around the Stalinallee, to salvage brick and non-ferrous metal and to help with the excavation work for the foundations.
In terms of mass propaganda, all the stops are pulled out to promote the national reconstruction programme The paper model kits of the the Stalinallee, a favourite souvenir from the capital city at that time, are part of this drive.
Apart from the effects in terms or propaganda, the SED leadership hoped for material savings - the magnificent buildings are already costing more than any previous estimation. The hope of getting oneself one of the much sought after Allee flats through voluntary work proves to be infact a powerful incentive. For those who received one of the 2700 new flats between 1952 and 1954, a dream is thus fulfilled. The majority of GDR-citizen, however, live under inadequate housing conditions. In addition the basic political and economical situation in the GDR has worsened since July 1952 . Walter Ulbricht swears the SED to the reconstruction of socialism: the population has to pay a high price for this line. Whole sections of society, the middle classes, so-called bourgeois circles and among the farming community are being politically and economically oppressed To achieve ther goals the SED expect a ten percent increase in quota from the workers. It is the bricklayers of the Stalinallee of all people, the „activists of socialist construction“ who trigger off the regional peoples’ revolt of June 17th with their legendary protest march to the House of Ministers on the 16th June. Today a monument at the „Rosengarten“ (between D-north and E-north) remembers that march.
The builder of C-South: Richard Paulick
Richard Paulick was born on the 07th November 1903 in the town of Roßlau, not far from Dessau. His father Richard Paulick senior was an active SPD (social democratic party) functionary, first of all in Roßlau, later in Dessau. Through him the young Paulick soon became acquainted with the political battles of the time: the outbreak of war and the November revolution belonging to his formative experiences.
After initial attempts studying art history Paulick discovered his lifes´ work in 1923: he wanted to become a builder. The first phase of his studies took him to Dresden. In 1935 he went to Dessau. The masters of the Bauhaus movement, Gropius, Kandinsky, Moholy-Nagy quickly recognised the 22 year old talent and took him under their wings on the search for new, revolutionary forms of construction.
Steel, glass and concrete were put to the test as the basis for totally innovative housing schemes and town designs with highly distinctive socio-political elements. Together with Georg Muche Paulick developed a „Stahlhaus“ (steel house) which attracted attention well outside of specialist circles. After Dessau came Berlin. Richard Paulick wanted to complete his training under Hans Poelzig. His first assignments such as the ‘Arbeitsamt’ in Dessau or his participation in the Building scheme in Jörten made Paulick rapidly well known: as soon as 1930 he was able to set up his own architects office in Berlin.
Politically Paulick had a leaning to the left. In 1930 he joined the SAP and was known to be opposed to National Socialism. A justified fear of Arrest forced him to emigrate in 1933. In China Paulick was luckier than most other emigrants, he could carry on working in his profession. He even suceeded in founding his own office in 1937.
In 1949 Paulick returned to Europe. In 1950 he came to the ruins of Berlin. In the East, so he believed, the ideals of his youth will become political reality. Initially he embraced unconditionally the cause of the SED leadership. His very first commission led him to the Stalinallee. Here in 1951 a showpiece building for the „3rd International Festival for Youth and Students“, the „Deutsche Sporthalle“, was to be built in record time. His contribution to the competition for the Stalinallee achieved second place; in the end Paulick built section C of the avenue. His master workshop untertook in addition the coordination and overall management of the building work. Paulick was inundated ? with decorations and honours from the GDR leadership. After the Stalinallee followed three further big commissions. Paulick could design and build whole estates and districts like Hoyerswerda or Halle-Neustadt. After 1955 model construction and the industrial and assembly method of construction stood in the foreground of these projects. In the light of this the Stalinallee was an episode in the life of the master builder Richard Paulick, nevertheless it earned him the nickname „Red Schlüter of the East“. He passed away on the 4th March 1979 in Berlin.
Section C - South of the Stalinallee/Karl-Marx-Allee
Section C is one of the longest sections o the avenue.It is enclosed to the west by the ‘Koppenstraße’ and to the east by the ‘Straße der Pariser Kommune’. Paulick let both sides of the southern block project deep into the side streets. The symmetrical construction with its three monumental portals emphasises the castle like character of the lay out. The middle building ist decorated with bas-reliefs which extol the virtues of the National Construction programme in the Propaganda language of the time.
Section C was built, as was the whole avenue, as a residential and commercial area. C-South contains, amongst other small outlets for daily needs, the famous „Haus der Stoffe“ - today it is home to a FOX clothing market. The Karl-Marx book store opened in September 1953. It was for many years the largest book store in East Berlin. The antiquarian bookshop especially still attracts many people. Another until 1989 very popular store on the corner of the ‘Pariser Kommune’ no longer exists. „Hortex“ hung resplendent over the entrance and connoisseurs knew that cauned fruit and vegetables from „Freundesland“ werde available here. These werde a much sought after source of vitamins which were brought primarily into the inadequately supplied GDR provinces.
In 1953 a „Milchtrinkhalle“ was installed at the western end of the section. Years later this Trinkhalle became the legendary „Café Sibylle“ whose ice-cream specialities were a temptation to return to again and again. Today, after several years of rebuilding work, „Café Sibylle“ presents itself as a space for exhibitions and events. A permanent exhibition of the Stalinallee/Karl-Marx-Allee is intended to give visitors to the street a first insight into its varied history. Individuals and groups are most welcome here. (Tel.no. 030/29 35 22 03)